Welcome to Year 6
Literacy and Topic
The children really enjoyed learning all about World War Two, however, with no time to waste, we’re moving on to our new topic: Frozen Kingdom! Our literacy and topic work will be based around the famous expeditions of Ernest Shackleton. We have yet another powerful and engaging book to support the pupils’ learning!
We will be writing letters, diaries, speeches, settings, persuasive pieces, reports and narratives, all linked to this fascinating topic!
Higher Level Vocabulary (HLV)
Peril, endurance, vessel, robust, abundant, laborious, overcome, conserve, beset, morale, diligent and hostile.
Maths topics this half term include:
- Calculating missing angles along a straight line, full turn, in triangle and quadrilaterals.
- The properties of 2d and 3d shapes, including parallel and perpendicular lines and rotational symmetry.
- Constructing triangles and quadrilaterals.
- The area and of triangles and parallelograms.
- Converting between fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Percentages of different values.
- Line graphs.
- Pie charts.
- Conversion charts.
- Coordinates in four quadrants.
We are continuing our consolidation of the Year 5/6 words. Spelling tests take place every Friday, when new spellings are distributed ready for the children to practise at home.
PE is on MONDAYS – all children must have a full PE kit, including a coloured t-shirt according to their house team – Riverside, Transporter, Albert and Dorman.